Lauren Dimet, Editor-In-Chief
Internally we call this the “Ellen Warren Challenge.” If you remember, she bought a whole wardrobe in 3 days for $1,000 for her sister. We thought the clothes were lacking in something very important to us â€” style. So here is our version. This shopping spree should take 2 days, because many of our items, may be ordered online from the comfort of your own home (in your skivvies if you so chose).
This was not as easy as we had thought! We concluded we have expensive taste. Carol, our managing editor, likes pricey shoes so this was torture for her. I like expensive handbags (no PVC) and clothing so I was having trouble too.
Here is what we came up with. The grand total was $963.23* (tax not included) leaving some money for shipping. Most of these items you can buy at the stores, but some must be purchased online. Zappos, Couture Candy and Bazaar Adriatic offer free shipping!
We both agree that you must splurge on jeans. Sorry, but Old Navy’s will not cut it. We suggest you spend more on the staple pieces like the Gaucho Suit and buy disposable tops from Forever 21, H & M and the like. Mind you, we did find a great denim suit from Target. The trick to dressing this way is not looking like you didn’t spend much.
Another little tip we will share is, look for staples at Nordstrom’s Brass Plum. Yes, you have to endure some bad music and harsh lighting, but the t-shirts and tanks there can’t be beat. 100% cotton for half of what you would pay down one floor. H & M is also fab for buying staple cotton shirts as well.
1. Oatmeal Gaucho Suit by To The Max. We love the look of this suit and the faint pin stripes. $128 Jacket, $98 Shorts www.tothemaxusa.com
2. Brown Wedge Shoes by Zigi NY for $43.95 at Zappos “Zappos”
3. Silk Kimono Dress by Bebe for $149 www.bebe.com
4. Forever 21 Aviator Sun glasses for $4.80
5. Street Fashion Handbag for $40 (plus free shipping) at Bazaar Adriatic www.bazaaradriatic.com
6. Isaac Mizrahi Denim Suit at Target. $34.99 1-Button Jacket, $27.99 Crawford Pant.
7. Ballet Flats at Urban Outfitters for $20. They come in multiple color options.
8. DKNY Green Silk Floral Stretch Cowl Neck Tunic for $31.98 “Smart Bargains”
9. Forever 21 Balloon Top White $17.80
10. Nordstrom Brass Plum Tricoastal Design Wide Belt in Brown for $14.
11. J Brand Cigarette Leg Jean in Ink for $158 at Couture Candy “Couture Candy”
12. J Crew White Bella Skirt $29.99
13. Forever 21 Retro Pattern Top $15.80
14. Gabriella Rocha Black Peep Toe Platforms at Zappos for $47.95 “Zappos”
15. Belted Linen Tunic at La Redoute $24.99 (white shown, other colors available)
16. Fine-gauge cardigan in a variety of colors $14.99 “La Redoute”
17. Ruby Rox Gauze White Eyelet Dress at Nordstrom Brass Plum for $58.
Dressing by the numbers:
Look #1: 1, 8, 2, 4, 5
Look #2: Shorts from 1, jacket from 6, 7, 13
Look #3: 3, 11, 14
Look #4: 17, 16, 3, 5
Look #5: 12, 9, 10, 3
Look #6: 11, 15, 7
*Prices as of 6-18-06.