With nods to grunge, boyish charm, Mod, and punk rock, Fall 2006 brings us clothing and silhouettes with a somber yet undeniable sophistication. Fabrics such as black lace and thick knits hint at luxury. Plaids are unisex and not too sweet. Layers are thoughtful – not sloppy and indiscriminate. And colors, while dark and inky, get an energizing boost from animal prints, shots of orange and red, and bold gold accessories.
Strongly contrasting proportions have also come on the scene. Chunky heels anchor narrow pants, which, in turn, temper tops with extreme architectural volume. Similarly, oversize menswear style trousers artfully pair with a tiny vest or small jacket. The bubble sleeve is shyly making its debut.
Based on these fashion trends, here are Fall’s Must-Haves:
1. Bubble-shaped coat (wear over slim pants) Lauren Moffat Coat (arrives in November) from shopbop.com
2. Oversize trousers (pair with a small vest or tight-fitting shirt) Robert Rodriguez Herringbone Boyfriend Pant from eluxury.com
3. Jumper or Sweater Dress (pair with tights) Parameter Jumper from girlshop.com
4. Gold necklaces and bracelets (wear many all at once) Kimberly Faith Feather Necklace from girlshop.com
5. High-heeled ankle booties (wear them with both leggings and narrow pants) Betsey Johnson Grey Suede Boots from zappos.com
6. Thin t-shirts (layer them) Eartha Sweater from C&C California from activeendeavors.com
7. Tights (see number three) Cotton Cable Knit Tights from stockingirl.com
8. Large belt (to wrap around the sweater dress or jumper) Raina Red Croc Belt from samanthachicago.com
9. At least one accessory in leopard or zebra print Nine West Leopard Wedge Platform from ninewest.com
10. A signature piece in a gorgeous red
Tod’s Red Suede Tote from bluefly.com
Though fall’s aesthetic could be described as â€œsolemn,â€? if you look a little deeper, there’s a certain humor to the proportion; the pops of color are refreshing; and jewel tones and animal prints lend glamour. So don’t take this fall’s fashions too seriously. Keep your style but allow yourself to experiment and play with these inspired new looks and shapes.