With shades of red and blue making this season’s gray and black, its no wonder that purple (a combination or blue and red for those who forgot the kindergarten color wheel) has hit its stride. But before the images of Barney cause a primal scream and a complete refusal to embrace the passion for purple, remember that the color craze should be taken in sips and not strides. Try a violet-hued shoe or a metallic bag with purple undertones or if you’re brave go for a sweater or cute skirt paired with a dark top and black textured tights.
What to avoid: an entire ensemble or pairing it with anything pastel. Bottom line: use it as a subtle way to break up the black and add texture without a ton of contrast.
1. Marc Jacobs metallic-tie boots from Bluefly.com , $375 (originally $625)
2. Blue Marine Fox-Trim cardigan from Niemanmarcus.com, $1700
3. Sieger Morrison Mary Jane from BergdorfGoodman.com, $370
4. Anglomania AmnesiaSilk Blouse from Net-a-Porter.com, $280
5. Re-Los Angeles ‘Mary’ Knit Tunic from Nordstrom.com, $98.00
6. Kooba’s Paige Large Shoulder Bag from Kooba.com, $645
7. Seven for All Mankind Tweed Swing Jacket from Saks.com, $295