We see it riding solo on buses and many a cab driver will receive it as a complimentary gift from October through March: the winter scarf. Unlike its cousin the silk scarf (particularly classics from HermÃ¨s and Givenchy), this other descendant of the Croatian cravat is usually downplayed from the moment our mother insists upon making it the final part of our childhood ritual of cold-weather mummification. (Although one might imagine if we would have the same internal resistance if she insisted on placed an HermÃ¨s silk scarf around our necks instead of what seemed to be a dense wool blanket). But in the spirit of tacking this Freudian fashion fait accompli, lets work through the inner trauma and embrace a new view: A seamless integration of practical and posh you won’t leave behind.
1. Cartier cashmere-silk logo scarf from Bluefly.com, $300 (marked down from $375).
2. Burberry Frill scarf from Burberry.com, $160.
3. Chloe tubular scarf from
4. Daphne scarf by Marc by Marc Jacobs from Shopbop.com, $158.
5. HermÃ¨s cashmere scarf and hat set in large or medium from HermÃ¨s.com, $970.
6. Coach Patchwork Signature muffler from Coach.com, $168.
7. Paul Smith multi-striped scarf from Saks.com, $145.