At some point among all my shopping trips, while consuming fashion magazine after fashion magazine, and researching for my bi-weekly column, I forgot the most important thing about fashion – that it’s fun, it’s exciting, and it’s truly a passion.
Much like art, fashion boils down to individuality, and an often unexplainable connection to a piece – a just-gotta-have-it feeling about something, whether it’s a leather handbag, a black ruffle dress or a gold bangle bracelet that you can think of no other word to describe it besides beautiful.
And the beautiful thing about, well, beauty, is that it’s completely subjective. Which means every one of us could compile a list of lovely things and they would all be completely unique.
Here’s a sampling of what’s on my current list:
1. Shoes have often been compared to art as their construction and detail can rival the greatest masterpiece. Spanish designer Pedro Garcia‘s latest collection is no exception, especially the satin ballet flat with crystal buckle currently at Shopbop. Not only do they appear exquisitely comfortable, but also beautiful with delicately frayed edges and a pave twinkle.
2. Sometimes the beauty in something is its functionality, like a Fresh candle. I love the Sake aroma, which fills the room with intoxicating peach nectar and floral undertones. Not only does the candle blend with any dÃ©cor, but it burns for 50 hours, which is well worth its price. Available at eLUXURY for $48.00.
3. I’m not the only one who thinks this bamboo clutch is beautiful – it’s listed as one of Vivre‘s â€œfavoritesâ€? and it’s easy to see why. Perfect for summer nights out, its classic style by Glorinha Paranagua in exotic bamboo is one-of-a-kind.
4. There’s never been a question that haute couture collections are truly works of art. I found last week’s Chanel show particularly breathtaking. Designer Karl Lagerfeld described it as â€œhigh profileâ€? and sure enough, his technical, dynamic gowns are definitely inspiring.
5. I can not get enough of chunky gold jewelry. There’s something alluring about their weight and the fact that a precious (or faux) metal can be so durable. Toggle clasp necklaces, link bracelet watchesâ€¦if it’s chunky gold, I want it. Get the look for less: textured chain bracelet at Forever21 for $8.80.
6. It wouldn’t be ‘Shopping With Andra’ if I didn’t mention a little black dress. Vera Wang‘s strapless ruffle number has the most exquisite details: angled pleats, sequin trim empire waist and light tulle bows. Available for $357 at Bluefly (Don’t forget to play their â€œCatch of the Day gameâ€? while you’re there. Play for a chance to win a $1,000 Bluefly shopping spree!)