I have to admit, I was eager to tear into this book. Not because I was dying to read yet another style book (it seems that everyone has one these days) but for no other reason than idle curiosity. For some reason, and maybe it’s all the gossip mags and bloggers, but I really don’t get warm fuzziness from Rachel Zoe (even when I have seen her operate at some of the fashion shows). The book didn’t really change that perception since she methodically talks about how great she is. The thought that kept running through my mind the entire time I read the book was "enough about me, let’s talk about you…what do you think of me?"
However, Rachel Zoe is Hollywood’s most powerful stylist. I didn’t realize she styles some of what I consider to be the better dressed starlets. Zoe makes no qualms that she is the driving force behind today’s major fashion trends. She herself decides what Hollywood’s hottest stars are wearing, whether
they’re out for coffee or on the red carpet. She can make or break a designer. One shot of a star in a designer frock of her choosing and it’s good as gold. She has turned Hollywood into a fashion runway.
Back to the book, Zoe wants us to feel like we are one of her inner-circle of clientele and validates that we don’t have to spend a fortune to look great. So good so far. She provides readers most of her style secrets and tricks of the trade. The same ones she bestows
upon her hot celebrity clients like Lindsay Lohan, Kate Beckinsale, Debra Messing, Salma Hayek, and Keira Knightly (and boy can she name drop). Readers will learn how to develop their own
personal style and go-glam in every part of their life, whether it’s going to the mall to home entertaining to a night on the town. This book goes deeper than just the 10 essential items every women must own (a trench coat, crisp white shirt, a good suit, etc.)
Style A to Zoe includes practical advice on developing personal
style like a star—on a realistic budget. As your inner-voice stylist Zoe dispenses tips on everything from how to be your own stylist to
must have accessories and wardrobe staples for every occasion. Her
secrets will help you with:
- Looking like a star on a tight budget. Accessorize. Zoe recommends jewelry and lots of it.
- Drawing inspiration from your favorite style icons to create your own unique look.
- When to save and when to splurge on handbags, shoes, fur…
- Creating your own red carpet moments – find the perfect LBD and make sure it’s comfortable.
- Handling the day after. A day off does not mean looking like a slob.
- Packing and traveling like a jet-setter. This section was most useful, especially tips on the order in which you should pack.
- Putting your best face forward and style your hair. My favorite tip? "Don’t buy a scent based on a celebrity endorsement. Chose it because it truly suits you." (Her clients are going to love that one.)
- Making your home reflect your new-found glam style and a haven to return to.
- Entertaining like a star at home or your favorite restaurant.
Liv Tyler, Joy Bryant, Debra Messing
Included are interviews and contributions from over 20 fashion
A-listers (clients) and designers (and close personal friends) like Michael Kors, Donatella Versace, and Zac Posen. There are also plenty of photos of personal backstage fittings and events.
In summary: My rating is 4.5 out of 5 stars. Style A to Zoe is better than most of the style books on the shelves today and it provides some valuable stylist tips that the others do not begin to crack. However, she loses half a star for the ‘me, me, me’ factor. She would not be where she is today without her star clientele. The book will help you
cultivate your own unique, personal look. The tips on glamour and high
style are timeless…like a Birkin. So this guide may be worthy of a place on your bookshelf. I know it will be on mine.
Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour (Hardcover) $16.49 at Amazon