There is nothing quite like Paris in the spring: the blooming flowers in the Jardins du Luxembourg, the picnics in the Champs de Mars, the people watching in St. Germain. But best of all, Parisians put away their banal black wardrobes until the fall! Come April we are all ready for a fresh start, particularly in our closets. Here are the latest crazes I’ve found in Paris for spring 2008â€¦
White is the New Cobalt
Last spring the â€˜it’ color was cobalt, this season it is definitely white (and any of its variations). Sick of neon brights? It’s a bit passÃ© here in Paris. Forget bold colors for awhile and return to a look that is simple and fresh for the spring.
To Dye For
I don’t know about you, but I think tie-dye is pretty cool â€” especially when done on high fashion items (a.k.a. not done in your back yard with a plastic bucket and rubber gloves). This look is laid-back yet bold, and hardly needs accessorizing. Look for one key tie-dye piece to add to your wardrobe this spring.
Also inspired by the swinging 60s, fringe is back and better than ever. It’s adorning everything from dresses and vests to booties and bags. It’s a fun and frilly add-on to any garment, and transitions well from day to night (without the risk of looking like a total hippie).
These are some pretty fabulous kicks, don’t you think? The heel is the winner this season. Taking full focus, the heel has become the statement maker (in contrast to last year’s peep-toe and platform obsession). Even when paired with something simple, all eyes will be on these shoes.
1. White ensemble (complete with fringe vest!) at Sandro Photo: Gabbie Perez
2. 3.1. Phillip Lim 2008 RTW Style.com
3. Nicholas K Cal Shirt $211
4. Balmain 2008 RTW Style.com
5. 3.1 phillip lim Fringe Blouse $195
6. Tie-dye jackets in the Colette window display (Rue St. HonorÃ©) Photo: Gabbie Perez
7. ADAM Pleated Strapless Dress $465
8. Diane von Furstenberg 2008 RTW Style.com
9. Miu Miu pumps at Miu Miu boutique (Rue St. HonorÃ©) Paris Street Photo, Gabbie Perez
10. Miu Miu Column Heel Pump $595