Lauren Dimet Waters
I’m over dainty, gentile jewelry. I’m ready to be bold, make a statement. I am finding the best way to add flair and infuse color into your painfully appointed ensemble is to make a statement with one piece of jaw-dropping jewelry. Statement necklaces were all over the runway for Spring 2008 and with good reason.
Luckily, you don’t have to spend a king’s ransom to buy a huge pendant necklace or cuff. Vintage, costume jewelry and affordable sites like Ebay and Esty which specializes in handcrafted jewelry, make it easy to find something you love. Just avoid plastic. To properly pull off statement jewelry you have to understand it’s balance between proportion and scale.
Can you go too large? Sure. Especially if you are petite. Make sure the item complements you and your outfit. Don’t be overshadowed by your jewelry. You are the main attraction.
1. Marc Jacobs Spring RTW 08 NYMag.com
2. Michael Kors Spring RTW 08 NYMag.com
3. Peter Som Spring RTW 08 NYMag.com
4. Nicole Farhi Spring RTW 08 NYMag.com
5. Drop Circle Collar Necklace by Herve van der Straeten $450
6. Soiled Dove No.9 (Scotch) $150
7. Skull Shell Necklace by Mended Veil $235
8. SubversiveÂ® for TargetÂ® Tri-Strand Cluster Necklace in Goldtone $59.99
9. Roberto Cavalli Snake Ring $340
10. Wood Rondelle Necklace by Martin Schettini $565