Evey few years it seems the pencil skirt returns in a big way and this fall is no different. Judging by the fall ’08 ready-to-wear runway…the pencil skirt is as prolific as it was in the 40’s. We personally love the drama.
The pencil skirt of fall ’08 should end just directly below the knee to about 3 inches below. Make sure your skirt is snug, but not tight. The high-waisted variety will elongate your body, which is always a good thing. One more thing! See that your pencil skirt has a kick-pleat or a vent, otherwise, it’s going to be very difficult to walk. Trust me. Many years ago I learned this the hard way. Wiggling baby steps are not attractive on adult women!
The skirt in itself is a statement so feel free to wear it with a cropped boxy jacket, a fitted bow-blouse with a skinny belt or with a tucked in cashmere sweater and fur coat. Remember those long leather gloves you had to have last year? Well they will be perfectly paired with your pencil skirt and alligator pumps (you must wear high heels with a pencil skirt, no flats…it’s the law). Just grab your satchel bag and you are good to go!
1. Thakoon Runway Ombre Pencil Skirt $1,175
2. L’Wren Scott Military Pencil Skirt $1,330
3. 3.1 Phillip Lim High Waist Houndstooth Pencil Skirt $400
4. Michael Kors Cheetah-Print Pencil Skirt $950
5. Alexander McQueen High Waist Skirt $320
6. RM by Roland Mouret Couronnes Tweed Skirt $1,135
7. D&G Dolce & Gabbana Mesh Overlay Pencil Skirt $425
8. Just Cavalli High Waist Pencil Skirt $430
9. Ralph Lauren Black Label Clarissa Textured Wool Skirt $598
10. Michael Kors Satin Pencil Skirt $995
– Lauren Dimet Waters
Image by Jessica Piraro
Runway photos: NY Mag
Tags: 3.1 Phillip Lim, Alexander McQueen, alligator pumps, blouse, Bow Blouse, Carlos Miele, Charles Nolan, D&G Dolce & Gabbana, Derek Lam, designer, Diane von Furstenberg, fall '08, high-waist, houndstooth, how to, James Coviello, Jessica Piraro, Just Cavalli, L'Wren, Lauren Dimet Waters, Lela Rose, Max Azria, Michael Kors, Monique Lhuillier, pencil skirt, Ralph Lauren Black Label, Reem Acra, RM by Roland Mouret, runway, satchel bag, Second City Style, shoes, shopping, skinny belt, skirt, style tios, Thakoon, Three as Four, trends, tweed