It’s our favorite time of year again! Time for Second City Style’s third annual Twelve Days of Christmas (Shopping)! Basically it’s the time everyone on the staff gets to do a little wishful shopping. Hopefully they will inspire some ideas for you!
As the Haute Historian for Second City Style there is nothing I enjoy more than looking at past fashions and seeing how they resonate today and this season I am not disappointed. I am actually quite thrilled to see the roaring 20’s are emerging once again. With fringe being a detail in many Spring 2009 collections along with drop-waists and an inclination towards glamour, I can’t resist making a wish list that embodies everything the 1920’s can offer a girl in the year 2009.
1. Urban Outfitters Feathered Headband $24 – Headwear was a must have for flappers and I just love this headband. It’s the perfect accent piece for a night on the town and great for keeping my ever wayward hair in its place. The price is perfect too; since once the season is through and feathers are out I’m not sure how often I’ll want to wear it.
2. Palen Simone Earring $142; Alexis Bittar Branch Earring – Freshwater Pearl $126 -Earrings that dangle and sway add great movement when dancing the jitterbug but you won’t have to know how to two step to make these stand-out, their beauty is obvious. I couldn’t pick just one pair while shopping on shopshebang.com so tried to limit myself to just two.
3. Alberta Ferretti Spring 2009 Ready-to-Wear Dress – Flappers, as you may imagine, did not necessarily own a lot of dresses, they did live during a war when materials were scarce, so they pretty much had to make their clothing work double time. That’s why I love this dress, its functional enough to wear to work (if you don’t mind being the best dressed, which I don’t) and works great for a night out.
4. Christian Louboutin Mary Jane Platform, $965 – Now if I really wanted to remain true to the flapper style I would have opted for a T-strap here instead of a Mary Jane, but I now my limits…While I love the T-strap these are just I bit more flattering for the leg, plus it doesn’t hurt to admit that I would wear these every day for the rest of my life, or until I wore them out completely.
5. Hayden-Harnett Floripa Clutch, Super 80’s Colorblock, $427– Even though this clutch references the 80’s, the Art-Deco inspired pattern screams 1920 and is just the right size to carry everything I really need, not everything I think I need (which is usually more than I can carry anyway).
– Bonnie J. BrownSee the Top Ten Summer 2016 Trends for Women Over 40
Tags: Alberta Ferretti Spring 2009, Alexis Bittar Branch Earring, Bonnie J Brown, Christian Louboutin Mary Jane Platform, dress, Gift Guide, haute historian, Hayden-Harnett Floripa Clutch, holiday shopping, Palen Simone Earring, Second City Style's 12 Days Of Christmas (Shopping) 2008, Urban Outfitters Feathered Headband, wish list