The best man in our lives is often known for many things. Whether it be his inability to be out in public without trying to "get" our nose, his patent-pending method of burning burgers on the grill, or his fail safe technique of falling asleep mid-sentence, dads have spent countless hours perfecting their arsenal of tricks. But over the years, fathers have spent so much time contributing to their families, (even when it took the form of public humiliation), that many have forgotten what it feels like to come first. Now that their beloved offspring are all grown up, we can give back the best way we know how. This year, let's pledge to help our dear old dads in the arena that's probably been neglected the longest—his style.
Buying men's wear, for either an older or younger demographic, is simple in that it only takes one or two subtle, statement-making pieces to pull together an ensemble. A tie boasting the peak of class and sophistication, a rich, supple leather jacket (reminding him of his heyday), or sleek sterling cufflinks are small additons to a male wardrobe that can go a long way. Since dad probably doesn't take time away from the golf course to shop the latest trends, classic and timeless looks will be the strongest investment for him—whether it be a smartly tailored sportcoat or a stainless steel watch. For the risk takers, offer up the trend du jour in a straw topper, a graphic tee, or a funky but comfortable weekend shoe. And any dad, regardless of age, deserves a little label lust with an embossed money clip or wallet.
If all else fails and none of the wearables hit the mark with dad's personal style, you can always rely on the power of gadgets to quicken any man's pulse. A camera with cutting edge technology but (thankfully) few buttons will surely prevent the dreaded "When I was your age…." tangent. And finally, an easy to install GPS system will afford a much easier passage when he comes to visit, giving him the best gift of all: you! Plus, he's never liked to stop for directions anyway. Happy shopping and happy father's day!
1. Men’s Caravelle by Bulova Bracelet Watch – Black/White A, $142.49See the Top Ten Summer 2016 Trends for Women Over 40
2. Andrew Marc Hendrix Motorcross Leather Jacket, $239.97
3. Burberry Check Silk Tie, $145
4. D&G Dolce & Gabbana Leather Bifold Wallet, $195
5. David Donahue Sterling Silver Cuff Links, $150
6. Ben Sherman Two Button Sportcoat, $395
7. Classic 5 Pocket Denim, $195
8. Cade After Shave Balm, $29
9. Garmin nuvi 255W 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator, $165.99
10. Puma Men’s Speeder Mesh II Sneaker, $44.99
11. Rock & Republic Blackhawk Sunglasses, $149
12. Nikon Coolpix S560 – digital camera, $203
13. Ted Baker, Brown Quilted Leather Detail ‘Lorell’ Oxfords, $182.69
14. Parke & Ronen, Navy Microfiber 8” Swim Shorts, $43.20
15. Cole Haan, Olive, Nylon Striped Travel Tote, $105.30
16. Armani Exchange Logo Plate Fedora, $48
17. Ed Hardy Navy Cotton Rhinestone 'Dragon Dagger' T-shirt, $61.99
18. Original Penguin Shale Check Cotton 'Break' Shorts, $47
- Alia Rajput
Image layout: La Tonya Williams
Tags: Alia Rajput, Andrew Marc, apparel, Armani Exchange, Ben Sherman, Bulova, Burberry, Cade, Classic 5, Cole Haan, cuff links, D&G Dolce & Gabbana, David Donahue, denim, digital camera, Ed Hardy, Father's Day, fedora, gadgets, Gift Guide, Gramin GPS, hat, jeans, jewelry, La Tonya Williams, leather jacket, men's, navigator, Nikon Coolpix, oxfords, Parke & Ronen, PUMA, Rock & Republic, shave blam, shoes, sneaker, sportcoat, sunglasses, swim shorts, T-shirt, Ted baker, tie, tote, wallet, watch