This past Tuesday I attended a Pantene Pro-V event where celebrity hairstylist Hallie Bowman demonstrated three hot hairstyle trends for Fall '09. Surprisingly I loved them all and learned a ton of styling tips in the process. Fortunately, I am going to share them with you. Read on, because at the end, there is a giveaway for 5 lucky readers!
Anyway, we all know the economy is in the toilet, but that doesn't mean your hair shouldn't continue to look fashion forward. You need not spend a ton on products, nor do you have to run out and acquire the latest trendy designer haircut every 3 months. In fact, Fall '09 is all about styling what you already have. Start out with a great basic hairstyle that's easy to maintain and try one of the following three hairstyles that works on pretty much any hair type shoulder length or longer.
So what's hot for hair this fall? Well, there was a lot of mixing of textures on the runway. Take for instance the slicked back half-up with crimped half-down style shown at Bottega Veneta. Some of the runway looks were a little crazy to pull of in every day life, but you can make them a little softer to work for you. Also, there is a bit of a modern twist on 80's hair. Before you get scared (like I was) it's softer and updated to be a little more modern (no roach clips in your hair or Joan Collins helmet heads, please).
One cut you are going to see a lot of for fall it s the 'Lob' (a longer bob). It is the same shape as the bob as in it's shorter in the back than in the front, but this modern take swings at the shoulders. Perfect for fine hair, you can find Gwyneth Paltrow and Anne Hathaway sporting this updated do.
To take it from day to night, Hallie added some beachy loose waves. Now if you are like me, you have been doing it wrong so listen up. I am going to help set you right.
DO NOT curl from the bottom up which just curls the ends. Today's waves start at the root.
How to Get the Style:
* Start by using the Pantene Pro-V Full & Thick Shampoo and Conditioner to protect hair against damage and create fullness that lasts all day.
* Apply Pantene Pro-V Full & Thick Mousse from root to tip on damp hair.
* Blow dry hair while lifting hair away from scalp, periodically flipping hair over for lots of volume. (note: be sure to completely dry crown with head upside down to ensure the most volume in the right spot)
* Wrap big sections of hair around a 1-inch barrel curling iron, wrapping from root to end for deep, tousled waves. (note: wrapping from tip to root creates barrel curls)
* Do not clamp down
* Count to 4
* As you pull the section off the barrel, twist it a bit more in your fingers and pull down gently.
* Let go
* When you are finished with curling your entire, head…do not be afraid to brush your hair (Hallie recommends a Mason Pearson or boar bristle brush) for a more polished look. It won't destroy the curl.
* Complete the look by applying Pantene Pro-V Nature Fusion Smoothing Crème to define waves and fight frizz.
** Try a really deep side part for evening (think Robert Palmer girl). See the last picture above for an example.
** Another tip…use high-end hot tools (not products). The cheap ones will do much more damage to your hair (I can attest to this.)
If you have medium length hair, why not try this fabulous Up-do Upgrade (pictured above)? What's upgraded about it? The chignon (or donut bun) is sleek while the front is messy. Or try the reverse and keep the top part of your hair slicked back and the bun messy. Again, it's all about mixing textures.
How to Get the Style:
* Start by washing hair with the Pantene Pro-V Moisture Renewal Shampoo and Conditioner to keep hair hydrated with a smooth finish.
* Blow dry hair using a natural or combination bristle brush.
* Begin the style by pulling your hair into a low ponytail and securing it with a hair bungee (2 hooks) or elastic band (a bungee won't budge and it won't pull your hair_. Leave some pieces out around the face)
* Spray the ponytail and loose strands with the Pantene Pro-V Texture Spray Wax to give yourself a malleable but thick texture to work with.
* Roll the ponytail from ends to root, creating a barrel roll (see picture above).
* Holding the ends of the barrel with one hand, wrap the roll around the bungee in a donut shape (fan it) and secure it to your head with pins.
* For the sections around the face, wrap around a medium-sized curling iron, wrapping from root to end for loose tousled waves (like in the Lob example).
* Complete the look by using the Pantene Pro-V Ice Shine Hairspray all over the hair to add shine and secure the style in place.
I have to say the Half-Up Glam style seen above (and on Angelina Jolie at the Oscars) was my favorite. It’s a modern twist on the classic half-up style with just enough edge for those with long or medium length hair.
How to Get the Style:
*Start by using the Pantene Pro-V Nature Fusion Smooth Vitality Shampoo and Conditioner to tame frizz and fly-aways.
*Distribute the Pantene Pro-V Nature Fusion Smoothing Crème evenly throughout wet hair to keep locks looking smooth and frizz-free all day.
*Blow dry hair using a natural or combination bristle brush.
*Begin the style by creating a deep side part (think 80s!) on both sides.
* Bring the middle section forward (you will come back to it later) and use a clip to keep it on the top of your head.
* Collect sections of hair on sides of head, leaving a 2-inch section of hair out on top of the head for use later, then slick sides of hair back and collect with a bungee or clear elastic band at crown of head.
* Spray top section of hair with Pantene Pro-V Texture Spray Wax to add to make hair more malleable.
* Pull top section (or reserved middle section) of hair back, leaving volume at the top, and secure at crown of head with pins; this will conceal elastic band for a clean finish. You want it to look swept up, not pinned so conceal those pins!
* To lock in style, finish with a spritz of Pantene Pro-V Classic Flexible Hold Aerosol Hairspray.
Hallie also showed us an amazing and easy way to crimp your hair that's quick and safer for your hair than one of those awful crimping irons that just makes your hair look fried (and too 80's) anyway…
How to Crimp Your Hair:
* Take a U shaped hair clip (looks like a bobby pin) and wrap your hair in and out of the two prongs like a figure 8. (see above picture)
* Take your flat iron and press down on the hair for about 5 seconds.
* Release and use your fingers to separate.
On to the Giveaway!
5 lucky winners will receive a year's supply of ONE of the three Pantene Pro-V collections below. Simply leave a comment to this post telling us which hair style demonstrated you liked best and want to try and which Pantene collection will work best for your hair type. We will pick 5 lucky winners with the best answers on Friday, August 21 at 9pm EST. Please make sure to leave your email address so we can contact you!
Pantene Pro-V Nature Fusion Collection:
· Pantene Pro-V Nature Fusion Smooth Vitality Shampoo
· Pantene Pro-V Nature Fusion Smooth Vitality Conditioner
· Pantene Pro-V Nature Fusion Smoothing Crème
Pantene Pro-V Full & Thick Collection:
· Pantene Pro-V Full & Thick Shampoo
· Pantene Pro-V Full & Thick Conditioner
· Pantene Pro-V Full & Thick Mousse
Pantene Pro-V Moisture Renewal Collection:
· Pantene Pro-V Moisture Renewal Shampoo
· Pantene Pro-V Moisture Renewal Conditioner
– Lauren Dimet WatersSee the Top Ten Summer 2016 Trends for Women Over 40