It is no secret that color-blocking is a huge trend this spring and summer, and if it is done right, you won’t look like a refugee from the late eighties (and we all remember those looks, right?).
If you want to invest in the look, this flowy Sonia Rykiel silk frock in shades of black, yellow, and pink would certainly fit the bill. All you need are a pair of black or nude wedges and you’re good to go for all sorts of summer occasions. This Jonathan Saunders blue, black, and gray dress is a more versatile option that will allow you to take this style into next fall.
On the other hand, if you’d rather stick to something simpler, this gray, black and white BCBG top or this Ella Moss racer-back tank are a bit lower risk, and they’d pair perfectly with skinny jeans or denim shorts for a casual look.
Shoes are also a low-key way to rock the color-blocking trend; for instance, these gray Pierre Hardy wedge sandals have a strip of neon red highlighting the heel, and they also come in a light brown shade with a sunshine yellow highlight.
In general, the key to wearing color-blocked ensembles to let the bold combination of shades speak for themselves, and keep the rest of your outfit basic and sleek unless you are seriously brave when it comes to mixing and matching bold pieces. In which case, more power to you!
1. Sonia Rykiel Color-Block Silk Crepe de Chine Gown, $2,420
2. Johnathan Saunders Lunain Block-Color Jersey Dress, $150
3. BCBGMaxzaria Colorblock Asymmetrical Top, $87.90
4. Ella Moss ‘Dawn’ Colorblock Racer Back Tank, $86
5. Pierre Hardy Color-Block Canvas and Patent-Leather Wedge Sandals, $630
6. Pierre Hardy Color-block Canvas and Patent leather Wedge Sandals, $630
Image Layout: Molly MurphySee the Top Ten Summer 2016 Trends for Women Over 40