The cape, a sweet marriage between the poncho and coat, is the coveted cover-up for fall. This unanticipated craze captures the coziness of a poncho, adds a pinch of structure and becomes one lavish detail. Capes aren’t just the trademarks of costumed crime fighters; these days this shape has metamorphosed into an avaunt-garde fashion statement.
Lets face it: trends are tricky and only suit a small percentage of us. Who wants to sacrifice comfort for style? No need to compromise the two! The cape offers easy luxury that works for all ages and sizes.
Presented at ADAM, Alexander Wang and Rebecca Minkoff, it is clear that capes are front-runners for fall. Finally there is a style not set-aside for size 2’s. Take note from these designers by selecting unconventional cuts and capes with added flare.
Drape yourself in a cape for the ultimate sumptuous yet simplistic experience.
1. Are you looking for a casual option? Try this shearling toggle cape for those blustery days. Make your cape the focal point of your outfit by teaming well-fitted basics with this trend, ensuring an immensely smart style.
2. Go mad for plaid with this Calhoun Cape by BB Dakota. Don’t be afraid of this statement number. The pattern is classic and subtle enough to work with virtually everything in your wardrobe.
BB Dakota Calhoun Cape, $130
3. This dressy cape by Via Spiga includes an asymmetrical zipper and high collar keeping you toasty even in wicked weather. Pair with black skinny jeans and knee high boots to balance out the fullness of this coat. A killer leopard handbag and oversized sunnies complete this city-slicker look.
4. Frumpy is not an option in this structured cape. Double breasted buttons, a large tie belt and black piping pull together a finished, standout look.
ECI Belted Cape, $88
5. Swap out hoodie sweatshirts and say hello to your new best friend, The Halogen Wool Blend Cape. Now there’s no excuse to leave the house looking lousy because this cape provides the same comfort and ease as your favorite worn-out oversized garments. Make this look totally of-the-moment be daring with leather leggings and suede booties and turn this conservative camel cape into rocker chic with tough extras.
Runway Image: style.com; Celebrity image: ellefemalefactor
Image Layout: Elise FordSee the Top Ten Summer 2016 Trends for Women Over 40