Of course we had to share our picks for all things pink. After all…October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and what woman in her right mind would not support the cause? At this point I am sure we all know someone who has been affected by this insidious disease.
And while it is important to be aware of how epidemic breast cancer has become and what you can do to maintain good health….many unscrupulous companies are taking advantage of the cause and “pink-washing” to sell goods on your sympathies and giving too little, if anything, to research charities. So before you buy that pink blender, be certain the amount being contributed really goes to find a cure with a charity you have actually heard of. Personally, I find contributing anything less than 20% offensive and a waste of my time and money. Therefore, here are my picks based on what I like and all give at least 20%:
1. Alternative Apparel’s “Pink Ribbon” Collection featuring the brand’s bestselling tees, tanks, dresses and hoodies will donate 10% of the retail price to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. I know it’s only 10%, but they have guaranteed a minimum of $25,000 and they will continue to sell the Pink Ribbon Collection online at alternativeapparel.com through the remainder of 2011, not just October!
2. FlipOut Haute Pink Jelly Sandals during the month of October, if you purchase a pair of pink jellies and/or 3 pieces of shoe jewelry 25% will be donated to the American Cancer Society. You don’t need to purchase the shoe jewelry, but you should! $59.99 flipoutsandals.com
3. NYLA STAR Hope Necklace all October, NYLA STAR jewelry will be donating 25% from all sales of the Hope Necklace to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. $59 http://nylastar.com/necklaces.html
4. Sock it to Me Pink Socks the entire month of October, 50% of sales from ALL PINK SOCKS (not just the pair shown) will go to the National Breast Cancer Coalition’s fund to find a cure! $9 sockittome.com
5. Violent Lips Pink Ribbon Pouts these decals are for those a little more daring. You will definatly get the message out with these innovative lip applications that last up to eight hours.$9.99 for a set of three. 20% goes to National Breast Cancer Coalition. ViolentLips.com
6. BareNecessities.com is donating a portion ($0.25) of every bra sale during the month of October to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Now I know this is not quite 20%, but EVERY bra sale qualifies, not just pink ones or special ones! So stock up! You know you order from there anyway…right? BareNecessities.com
7. Limited-edition Charles David iGoPink: Fashion Fights Breast Cancer Pumps Charles David has partnered with the Breast Cancer Charities of America (BCCA) with this cool as hell, pink-lined exclusive pump. 20% of sales goes directly to the charity. You will need to pre-order these from the store during the month of October. $125 To find a location near you visit charlesdavid.com
8. Erica Anenberg Signature BCCA “Twosome” Ring. 25% of the proceeds will be donated to The Breast Cancer Charities of America. $172 ericaanenberg.com
9. Junk Food Clothing’s “Shut up and Race For Me” Tee 100% of the profits will go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer. $30, junkfoodclothing.com
10. Gemvara.com Pink Gemstone Jewelry during the month of October, online custom fine jewelry site, Gemvara.com, will donate 20% of all October jewelry orders of pink gemstone jewelry (pink sapphire, pink tourmaline or rose quartz), to the Ellie Fund, a non-profit organization that fights breast cancer and eases cancer’s effects on patients and families by providing childcare, housekeeping, groceries, nutritious prepared/delivered meals and transportation to medical appointments free of charge to hundreds of women and family members. Gemvara.com
11. Stella & Dot Limited-edition Breast Cancer Tribute Bracelet 20% of the purchase of the Tribute Bracelet made of rose gold pave band and a delicate strand of faceted hematite beads with an adjustable woven thread closure will be donated to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. $36 http://shop.stelladot.com/style/b2c_en_us/b178rg.html (Note: we know this is now sold out, but have been told more will be available 10/21).
12. Maya Brenner Custom “Five”necklace this necklace was designed in honor of Lifetime Network’s “Five,” a series of five short films exploring the impact of breast cancer on women’s lives. Directed by Jennifer Aniston, Demi Moore, Alicia Keys and others, the “Five” anthology premieres Oct. 10 on Lifetime. The profit from the sales of the necklace will donated to the National Breast Cancer Coalition Fund (NBCC). The necklace is $188 and features a 14k gold asymmetrical mini number ’5′ on a super fine cable chain. $50 from each sold will be donated to NBCC. mayabrenner.com
13. Everything But Water/Dr.’s REMEDY Nail Polish in Positive Pink 20% of the proceeds from each Positive Pink nail polish purchased at an Everything But Water store or online will go to Living Beyond Breast Cancer. The polish is a lovely, healthy splash of toxin-free, vitamin-enhanced color for your nails. $17. The nail polish is available at everythingbutwater.com/in-the-pink.
14. diptyque Mini Pink Rose Candle diptyque is partnering with The Pink Agenda this Breast Cancer Awareness month and donating 20% of the proceeds from this candle to support in the fight against breast cancer. diptyqueparis.com
15. Elizabeth Grant’s Light Up Your Lips Gloss in Sweet Pink during the month of October, Elizabeth Grant International is donating 20% of the online sales to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. elizabethgrant.com
- Lauren Dimet Waters