Here’s a moment of honesty: beauty as a topic of interest is placed a little far down my list. That’s why when I was asked to attend the Spring 2012 Cosmetics Trend Show, I was less than interested. However, after thinking about having the opportunity to spend the day at Nordstrom and possibly of receiving free samples, I rethought the situation and went. Was it an experience.
For those who have never heard of this event, twice a year the beloved department store opens its doors to hundreds of women to view the latest and upcoming makeup and beauty trends. A cosmetic fashion show, titled Beauty Getaway Scenes, allows all the leading brands within the beauty community to show their best products. From Dior to La Mer and Philosophy to Chantaille, I learned what the industry will be focusing on and what products will make us look our best. Glowing skin, sun-dressed eyes, and splash-glam lips were the scenes and styles for the upcoming season.
The actual show held an interesting experience. A long carpeted runway lead to the bright coral background where models came out with glowing, bright skin, along with neutral palettes with the occasional play of bright lips and golden eyes. Over thirty brands were represented. In some cases the owner of the brand would even come out and talk about their latest and innovative product. After three scenes and a few hours had slipped by, it was the crowd’s turn to hit the beauty department to receive everything from facial peels to make-overs.
In the end, I learned a few tips and tricks and found a few products to add to my beauty wish list. Conversely, I also found a few to avoid next time I’m in the makeup department. Below are some tips I learned, my top favorite products.
A Few Things I learned…
1. Whenever you try to conceal the bags underneath your eyes, dab a little concealer on the bridge of your nose between your eyes. It makes the color blend better for an even tone.
2. If you are looking to obtain the best beach look, or simply want to go with the neutral look, use coral or red lipstick to give a little pop.
3. Gold eyeshadow is the perfect color to use when you want neutrality with a little bit of simmer.
4. Instead of worrying about aging and buying the well known and expensive anti-aging creams, focus on evening out your skin. Use correctors for dark spots and creams to smooth your skin and create an even all-over tone.
5. Remember skin care is just has important as the makeup you wear. More than half of the products shown at the show were skin care. Basically, if you treat your body well, no matter what makeup or clothes you wear you will look great.
My Top Favorite Products…
1. Clarins Extra Firming Wrinkle Lifting Day Cream, $80. This is the cream to use when trying to firm your skin before swimsuit season.
2. Armani Blender Brush, $49. This brush, sworn to be the best blending tool by the host, is known to for not leaving streaks when applying foundations.
3. Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum, $79. The creator of Caudalie, Bertand Thomas, was actually outside Nordstrom before the show and allowing everyone to try this “awaking” spray that makes the skin look great instantly.
4. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner, $22. Allows you to go from “coffee to cocktail,” as the presenter stated. It lasts all day and night.
5. Dior Diorshow New Look Mascara, $28.50. Dior’s mascara has the most innovative brush – its comprised of two parts in order to provide the perfect swipe of mascara on your entire lashes. The salespeople at the Dior counter swear it’s a single swipe applicator.
6. Smashbox’s Photo Finish Foundation Primers, $36-42. This brand offers a handful of primers, including my two personal favorites: the basic foundation primer, which is great for powder foundations, and primer for under the eye to give you a bright, awake look.
7. vbeauté It Kit, $165. This is by far the trendiest travel kit I have ever seen. The sleek metal box holds five different creams, which abide by airport regulations, for every woman who worries about her skin aging and wants to travel in style.
8. Clarisonic Mia 2, $149. After feeling this powerful but soft brush clean the back of my left hand, the difference between left and my right was amazing. It was as if I had done a month’s worth of spa treatment on my hand; it is definitely worth splurging on.
If there was an award for best presentation or brand, Nars, Dior, Burberry, and Chantecaille would certainly make the list. Their presentations and products were interesting, innovative, and fun to watch.
The $15 ticket, which can be purchased from Nordstrom before the show, allows everyone who attends to receive a $15 gift card that can be applied towards any beauty purchase. Also included was a free tote bag, Nordstrom pencil to write notes in the program book, free samples of Viktor & Rolf’s Flowerbomb Perfume, and Moroccan Oil. I along, with many others, were able to snag free samples such as Bobbi Brown’s Makeup Remover, vbeauté Everyday Cream, and Philosophy’s Purity Cleanser. It was well worth the trip and is definitely worth checking out this fall!
Shop Nordstrom Beauty
– Lindsay Grundy
Photos: Second City StyleSee the Top Ten Summer 2016 Trends for Women Over 40
Tags: Armani Blender Brush, Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner, Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum, Clarins Extra Firming Wrinkle Lifting Day Cream, Clarisonic Mia 2, Dior Diorshow New Look Mascara, Smashbox's Photo Finish Foundation Primers, vbeautÃ© It Kit