It’s hard to believe it, but the bleak winter months are (almost) behind us. As we transition into the beautiful months of spring ahead, we are somewhat panicked at the thought of updating our wardrobe appropriately. Since it’s a little too early to be reaching for those warm-weather clothes you stuffed in the back of your closet last year, we decided to give you a little cheat sheet of the hottest trends this season. Have a seat and take notes, because we are simply mad about these pieces.
1. Pajama Jumpsuit – Jessie J is guilty of it. Rita Ora is guilty of it. Rihanna is a multiple offender of it. Yes, we are talking about the now infamous appearance of the pajama jumpsuit. While it was initially regarded as a giant fashion NO, a second look at the style made us realize that it just needed a little tweaking in order for it to look, well, stylish. If you’re just dying to try this trend, keep these quick tips in mind:
- Stick to dark colors and patterns, it keeps it from looking too lounge-y and more appropriate for public wear.
- Make sure it fits properly! Having a loose-fitting patterned jumpsuit is just asking for someone to label you lazy for not getting ready.
- Most importantly, be sure to add the proper accessories. This look typically calls for heels, because it instantly glams up the look. An arm party or layered necklaces wouldn’t hurt either.
2. The (New) Cutout – Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you already know that cutouts have been having a major trend moment lately. The trend has matured however; what started as a cold-shoulder or backless cutout has involved in reinterpreting the look in abstract ways. Cutouts are finding their way in the most unconventional places. Take for instance, this Reem Acra number. Its strategic cutouts give the illusion of a floating corset. A little art deco and very now.
3. Army Pants – If you’re like us, you probably cringed at the thought of army pants coming back to the scene. Don’t worry, this isn’t that crazy camo trend that came to pass about a decade ago. This season’s army look is much more polished, in luxe fabrics like silk and crepe cotton. The fit, however, is more true to its inspiration. Baggy silhouettes rule this style, so it’s important to stack on the heels or wedges, to keep from looking too Zero Dark Thirty.
4. Pastels – Pastels are making their way to the forefront of color this season. Muted shades of pinks, greens, blues, and purples are essentials to staying on-trend. However, if you’re worried about looking a little too suburban/retro-housewifey, pick modern pieces in that color range. Take for example, this Thakoon jacket. It’s pale sky-blue hue is perfect for the season, but its motto style and denim fabrication screams 21st century.
5. Green – It may come as a surprise, but green is a big deal this season. And no, we’re not saying that because it’s almost St. Patrick’s Day! This color is perhaps the only exception to the pastel trend previously mentioned. Adding pops of emerald green gives your look an instant Spring 2013 makeover, without that much effort on your part.
6. Snakeskin – You didn’t think we’d forget about your lovely accessories, did you? Now, it’s a throwback to everything retro, but snakeskin is slowly slithering its way back onto handbags, scarves, and jewelry. The detailed pattern adds dimension and texture to any look, and raises your outfit an extra bar (maybe even two!). Tie a snakeskin scarf around your neck, or go for that splurgy snakeskin handbag you’ve been eying from afar.
– Laurie Espino
Image Layout: Second City StyleSee the Top Ten Summer 2016 Trends for Women Over 40
Tags: Christian Louboutin Farida Snakeskin Bowler Bag, Dolce & Gabbana Polka Dot Jumpsuit, March Madness Spring FAshion Trends, pastels, Rachel Zoe 'Justin' Leather Shorts, Ralph Lauren Blue Label Dyed-Satin Overberg Pants, Reem Acra Beaded Cutout Dress, Thakoon Addition Denim Motorcycle Jacket