These fitness tips by Equinox’s Area Group Fitness Manager Julie Valenti really hit home for me! They came just in the nick of time to get toned and fit for summer fashion – and swimwear. (Gulp!) You know how summer in Chicago sneaks up on you? This year you can be ready by doing something about your fitness right now. Read these simple and inspiring tips to get you in shape or to assure you that you are already on top of it:
2. Make a commitment. Commit to going to the gym 3-5 times/week. Put it out there, and hold yourself accountable. Find some challenging group fitness classes to take part in, and commit to making them part of your weekly schedule.
3. Make the most of your time. 20 minutes of high intensity interval training is much more effective than 60 minutes of a leisurely ride on the elliptical machine. Interval training is key – alternate between rounds of hard, high-intensity work that gets your heart rate up, mixed with less-intense rounds that allow you to catch your breath and actively recover. This will rev up your metabolism and allow your body to burn calories at an elevated rate for hours after your workout.
4. Lift weight! Don’t be afraid to lift heavy. Women have a pre-conceived notion that lifting heavy weights will bulk them up. Not true!! Women don’t have enough testosterone in their bodies to bulk up. Lifting heavy weight will replace fat with lean muscle – which not only takes up less space, but also turns your body into a calorie-burning machine.
5. Eat clean!! This is the hardest component, but THE most important!! You can work out like crazy and feel strong and be strong – but if you want to LOOK strong, you have to eat clean too. You are what you eat – literally!!! Fill your diet with fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein, and quality, complex carbs. Real food only! Cut out the chemicals, fillers and preservatives. My favorite phrase right now…”You are what you eat – so don’t be easy, cheap, fast or fake!!!”
Chicago Equinox locations: Gold Coast, Highland Park, Lincoln Park and The Loop
– Carol CalacciSee the Top Ten Summer 2016 Trends for Women Over 40