Katie Jane Hughes, butter LONDON’s Global Colour Ambassador was in Chicago recently as part of a tour across the US. She hit 25 Ulta doors including LA, Atlanta, San Francisco, Chicago, Houston, Dallas and more cities to celebrate the launch of their new cosmetics collection. I was pleased to meet her and hear first-hand about the butter LONDON Bespoke Colour Cosmetics collection (which Lauren already adores), as well as learn some fabulous makeup tricks and tips directly from Katie! She is super sweet, has a cool British accent (as I expected of a butter LONDON Color Ambassador) and she made me feel like I was catching up with an old friend. We talked about Chicago, fashion, shoes and jewelry, but most of all – beauty!
Katie began her career as a nail artist and then got into makeup – just like butter LONDON! As an expert she led the teams backstage at London and New York fashion weeks for shows including Tadashi Shoji, Nicole Miller, Erdem, Matthew Williamson, Roland Mouret, Altuzarra, Rachel Roy, Prabal Gurung, Preen, Band of Outsiders and Erin Fetherston.
I asked what was new or the latest in nails and she showed me “empty space” nail art and glitter ombre effects. She ran a stripe of glitter polish down the middle of her nails and simply blended it in. Katie also told me the half moon nail effects are “really rad” and bright colors are big. I explained my own nail polish often wears off and she suggested the empty space look or the ombre effect as two solutions for me. I could also try a “distressed” nail look.
The butter LONDON Bespoke Colour Cosmetics collection includes: LIPPY Tinted Balm, CHEEKY Cream Blush, WINK Eye Pencil, WINK Cream Eye Shadow and WINK Color Mascara. Katie demonstrated how butter LONDON Cream Eye Shadow and pencil work so well together, and blended them on her hand. Later I tried them myself and loved how the eyeshadow is almost like a primer, and the gorgeous pencil colors blend. They both stay put and do not wear off.
Tips from Katie Jane Hughes:
• Makeup can have a multiple uses! Use WINK Color Mascara for eyebrows, CHEEKY Cream Blush on lips, and LIPPY Tinted Balm on cheeks.
• If your nail color tends to wear off, try empty space or ombre nail art effects.
• Try this new trend: emphasize your bottom eye lashes, as butter LONDON did at Libertine. Katie said, “It may seem weird, but it works!”
• Katie likes a perfect foundation base on your face, and then if your makeup is a little rough or imperfect, it looks cool.
• Mix concealer with face cream if you don’t happen to have foundation with you.
• Have fun with butter LONDON Colour Cosmetics! It is reasonably priced so it is easy access to fashionable makeup, and a great way to inject self-expression to your look.
Shop for butter LONDON at Ulta
– Carol Calacci
Photos: Second City Style and butter LONDON
See the Top Ten Summer 2016 Trends for Women Over 40
Tags: butter LONDON nail art at Nicole Miller Spring 2014 RTW Collection, butter-LONDON-+-Libertine5_Spring_2014 butter LONDON undereye emphasis at Libertine Spring 2014, CHEEKY Cream Blush, Katie Jane Hughes, LIPPY Tinted Balm, LONDON Bespoke Colour Cosmetics, LONDON Colour Cosmetics, nail art on the runways, nail art trends, tips from a makeup artist, tips from butter LONDON Bespoke Colour Cosmetics, tips from butter LONDONâ€™s Global Colour Ambassador, tips from Katie Jane Hughes, WINK Cream Eye Shadow and WINK Color Mascara, WINK Eye Pencil