When I pack for New York Fashion Week, I know that layering is key…especially in February. I don’t want to wear too much – or too little – and I’m bracing myself for the cold. However, coming from Chicago I have already tested and found solutions for what to wear in sub-zero temperatures. I also know I need to be ready for everything from rain to snow to a hot and sweaty party room!
COATS, BAGS AND SHOES
1. An oversize wool coat can act as a blanket in freezing temperatures. I have a grey coat cut like this and I wear blazers, sweaters, lightweight leather jackets and even a fur vest underneath. And if it is not that cold when I get there, I’ll simply nix the layers. Jil Sander Riverton Cashmere Coat, $4,740
2. A slim style black wool coat like this one is essential. I live in black wool coats and I may need to bring more than one for variety. Maison Martin Margiela Leather-trimmed Wool-blend Coat, now $699.96
3. I find a medium size bag (not too big) that fits my camera, a note pad and a folded program keeps everything at hand without having to rummage for my iPhone or a business card. Alexander Wang Marion Large Leather Shoulder Bag, $875.
4. A great big tote bag is necessary for the days when I’m on the go from morning to night. McQ Shoulder Bag, $225
5. As much as I hate to be practical, I know it is important to have a weatherproof boot or bootie for slush or snow. Aquatalia by Marvin K. ‘Royce’ Weatherproof Booties, $450
6. A wedge shoe or boot, especially with a lower 2-3/4″ heel is perfect for all day foot comfort and stability. Walking into runway shows can be hazardous! Maison Martin Margiela Trimmed Wedge Ankle Boot, now $479
7. I like to bring as many varieties of black shoes (with 3″ heels – even 3- 1/2″ is fine for me). These are good because they are very low and they won’t slip off like pumps often do. Nanette Lepore Sweet Revenge Pumps, now $149
8. Knee-high boots with low heels can save the day. I can wear skinny jeans with these and a coat over them and look all dressed up! Steven Veta Boots, now $119.40
You can still wear some cool shoes for an evening or short day out, but shoes you can walk in are essential!
BORING BLACK PIECES
I’m bringing a blazer, leather jacket, sweater, skinny jeans, leather pants, slim pants, flare pants, jumpsuit, tights, hat and gloves – all in the color black (and not pictured since they’re boring.)
NOT SO BORING PIECES
The fun part of fashion week is that you can wear flashy pieces and not even stand out, at least not among the New York Fashion Week crowd! I like to bring a wild jacket and maybe some crazy pants to wear peeking out from under my black coat. Costume jewelry, especially when you find it on sale, is a carefree way to accessorize when you travel. I like to wear statement necklaces rather than cuffs and bracelets, which can get in the way when reaching into your handbag. Fashion Week is the time to wear your favorite designer dresses you collected. I prefer to wear bright-colored and easy-to-wear dresses I can run around in (and wear tights like a child). Dresses that are too low-cut, complicated or have a high slit need to stay home.
1. Peter Pilotto F Printed Cotton-blend Jacket, $1,870
2. Wes Gordon Skinny Pants in Lapis, now $507
4. Lulu Frost for J.Crew Harvest Moon Necklace, now $159.99
5. Derek Lam Lace Up Sleeveless Dress, now $795
6. Matthew Williamson Paneled Shift Dress, now $295.50
7. Rebecca Taylor Tweed & Leather Shift, now $190
8. Rodarte Tie Dye Silk Belted Dress, now $690
– Carol Calacci
Image layouts: Second City StyleSee the Top Ten Summer 2016 Trends for Women Over 40
Tags: Alexander WangÂ Marion Large Leather Shoulder Bag, Aquatalia by Marvin K. 'Royce' Weatherproof Bootie, best shoes for New York Fashion Week, Chicago Fashion Editor NYFW essentials, Derek Lam Lace Up Sleeveless Dress, Fallon Multi Drop Crystal Link Necklace, fashion editor New York Fashion Week Essentials, Jil Sander Riverton Cashmere Coat, Lulu Frost for J.Crew Harvest Moon Necklace, Maison Martin Margiela Leather-trimmed wool-blend coat, Maison Martin Margiela Trimmed Wedge Ankle Boot, Matthew Williamson Paneled Shift Dress, McQ Shoulder bag, Nanette Lepore Sweet Revenge Pumps, New York Fashion Week Fall 2014, Peter Pilotto F printed cotton-blend Jacket, Rebecca taylor Tweed & Leather Shift, Rodarte Tie Dye Silk Belted Dress, Steven Veta Boots, Wes Gordon Skinny Pants in Lapis, what to pack New York Fashion Week, what to wear to NYFW