Skincare Expert Dr. Murad Visits Chicago!

January 9, 2015 • Beauty, Chicago, Fashion Blog

Skincare Expert Dr. Murad

With this brutal winter weather (negative 30 degrees?! No, thank you!) your skin, as well as your body, is probably screaming in agony. Overly dry and peeling, bright-red irritation and who knows what else is happening to your skin while it is being blasted in every direction. With these harsh conditions, traveling takes up even more time so you skip the gym and just hit fast food joint for dinner. We all know it’s bad for us but what can we do? Dr. Murad’s new book is almost like a little cheat sheet for looking, feeling and just plain living better.

Dr. Murad sat down with us in an intimate dinner at the Soho House Chicago to talk about his new ‘Youth Booster’ skincare line as well as his book, Conquering Cultural Stress and how we can change our lifestyles to be healthier. I don’t want to give too much away because the book brings up a lot of good points in relieving stress, eating better and all-around wellness, but I will tell you three great points in starting on your road to a better you.

A sneak peek at the dinner

A sneak peek at the dinner

1. Water is your best friend

Drink it. All the time. We know, we know…. Yes, every study says drink more H2O but hear us out. It can help with diseases like diabetes, depression, skin conditions and even rapid aging. As we age, internal and external factors damage our cells and their abilities to retain water. This causes skin to become drier and the body can become sluggish. When we drink more water, your body can change from a cellular standpoint and you’ll get healthier! Can’t beat that!

2. Cleanses are the worst

“You’re depriving your body of the nutrients it needs,” Murad explained. As you know, cleanses are only drinking a special concoction for 3, 5 or 7 days to ‘reset’ the body and rid it of toxins. Problem is, that’s all you’re drinking. So by the end of your cleanse, you are craving all the naughty things you missed out on.

“You don’t need to do a cleanse to reset your body,” Murad said. “If you really want detox the body, kale and broccoli will get rid of the toxins in the liver.” It’s great to know that I don’t have to drink a lemon, honey and cayenne pepper “drink” (I’m using the word ‘drink” lightly) to get out the toxins.

3. Live by the 80/20 rule

What is the 80/20 rule?  In his book, Murad gives diets on how to improve your health at a fundamental level. Now while we would all like to say we eat healthy all the time, there are times on our diets where we have the occasionally slip up. We, as a society, are too hard on ourselves. We have to be able to let go of that need of being perfect and understand that as humans, we are not.

For dieting, follow most of your diet. Just to about 80%. And save the other 20% for treats like ice cream, chocolate and cookies, or all three at the same time (no judging here). Because if you don’t, you’ll crave them and be more likely to indulge too often.

If you have time today, make sure to visit Ulta in Oak Brook to meet Dr. Murad!

January 9th – 11am to 2pm
Ulta at The Shops at Oak Brook
2155 West 22nd Street, Oak Brook, IL 60523
Dr. Murad Store Visit Time:  11:00am – 2:00pm (3 one-hour sessions from 11:00am- 2:00pm)
Murad Skincare Specialist “Clinic Hour”:  10:00am – 6:00pm

Dr. Murad will discuss why overcoming Cultural Stress® is the secret to healthier, more youthful skin. Transform your life with Dr. Murad and transform your skin with a Murad Skincare Specialist through a guided cleansing ritual. $50.00 reservation fee redeemable toward Murad product purchase the day of the event. Contact: 630-573-9324

Visit Murad.com

– Taneisha Jordan Willour

Photo: Murad.com; Second City Style

See the Top Ten Summer 2016 Trends for Women Over 40

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply