Today’s Fashion Headlines: Zac Posen’s New Gig, Rent the Runway Adds Sportswear, Cavalli Sold To Private Equity Firm

May 1, 2015 • Fashion Blog, Fashion News

Zac Posen

Zac Posen Gets Yet Another Job

designer Zac Posen is getting into the airline biz with Delta Air Lines. Posen will whip up a uniform collection for their flight attendants and airport customer service agents, while advising on the uniform project for their ramp and ground support agents, Delta cargo agents, and Delta TechOps employees. Word is, he’ll be working closely with the airline’s employees to assess their needs, with the prototypes undergoing some wear and tear before the final collection is produced in early 2018.

Posen continues to wear many hats, with the recent appointment as creative director for Brooks Brothers signature women’s collection and accessories, which comes your way in Spring 2016. He’s also a judge, along with Heidi Klum and Nina Garcia, on Lifetime’s Project Runway. He launched his first collection in 2001 and has added a number of labels over the years to include: ZAC Zac Posen, Z Spoke Zac Posen, and Truly Zac Posen with offerings in handbags, accessories, hosiery, eyewear, fur, and fine jewelry.

Rent the Runway Adding Sportswear and Physical Stores

Beginning yesterday, Rent the Runway will offer apparel across every category from brands such as Derek Lam, Nina Ricci, Giambattista Valli, Carven and Opening Ceremony. That’s a big step for the e-tailer, which established itself renting out looks for special occasions.

The company’s fifth physical outpost will open in Chicago, also on Thursday. And The Real Runway, a new content strategy based on “real women” The newest door is a 2,940-square-foot space in Chicago’s Gold Coast neighborhood and, like the company’s four existing units, renters will pay $25 to book an appointment. The initial The Real Runway content features 10 female entrepreneurs from Chicago. Lindsay Avner, CEO of Breast and Ovarian Cancer Awareness nonprofit Bright Pink, and Elaina Vazquez, founder of catering company Boutique Bites, were among the first to appear on the site. A series of digital influencers in the fashion space will also appear on the site in rental looks.

Cavalli Sold To Private Equity Firm Clessidra SGR

Private equity firm Clessidra SGR SpA has acquired 90 percent of Roberto Cavalli. The designer will retain the remaining 10 percent of his company. Cavalli and Clessidra SGR were previously in talks six years ago about an acquisition, but the deal purportedly fell apart due to tussles over the price. Cavalli signed a letter of intent to sell a minority stake of the company back in June 2009, and the figure was pegged at a 30 percent stake for Clessidra SGR. Last March, whisperings about Cavalli’s potential acquisition reemerged, with plans to sell a stake of up to 80 percent of the label and possible investors like Permira and VTB.

New ownership is just the latest substantial change to take place at the maison. In March, the brand tapped Peter Dundas as creative director, following his stint at Pucci. More recently, Renato Semerari was named CEO, following chief exec stints at Sephora and Guerlain, and former Bulgari CEO Francesco Trapani was appointed chairman at Cavalli.

– Selicia A. Walker

Source: Fashion Week Daily; WWD

See the Top Ten Summer 2016 Trends for Women Over 40

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply