Every season of New York Fashion Week, we not only look forward to the fashions, but the makeup trends that are sure to follow. Spring/Summer is no exception where there were some predictable trends and some that were not. Needless to say, there are some that you don’t have to wait until Spring to incorporate. In fact, you can wear them right now!
1. The first trend seen on the runways is the bold lip. The lips for S/S 14 were were in array of vibrant colors, such as orange. Orange lips were seen on several runways including a matte variety at Rag & Bone, and a creamy orange lip at Creatures of the Wind. The orange lip is a fresh look for the spring season. For those who love a bold red, as worn at Altuzzara and Monique Lhuillier, this shade can be worn for either winter or spring.
2. Dare to go a little bolder and try the fuchsia lip as seen at Prabal Gurung. The color played off the pastel tones of the runway pieces in the designer’s collection, but made even more feminine with a side slicked pony tail. No it’s not a look for office, but it sure is a fresh color for spring with a floral dress and big shades.
3. If you don’t want a statement lip you may want to try a pop of color on your eyes. At Badgley Mischka, Tom Pecheux’s inspiration for his look of his teal lid was a “70’s Red Carpet Mermaid.”This sounds fussy, and like it would be over-the-top glamorous, but the look is anything but. It’s totally fresh and wearable for winter or spring. A swipe of teal just over the lid wakes up your eyes and gives you a glam doe-eyed look. The eye at Costello Tagliapeitra was an almost neon green shadow, with minimal barely-there makeup, which is totally fresh for spring.
4. Even though we expect to see color on the runway, it’s always refreshing to see the nude, barely there, no fuss looks. This wearable no-makeup approach was seen at Tory Burch and was inspired by Bridgette Bardot. The look at Alexander Wang centered on raw beauty: “simple freshness, focusing on skincare, curled lashes and groomed brows,” said NARS Cosmetics’ Diane Kendal. At Diane Von Furstenberg, James Kaliardos wanted to evoke a woman ‘fresh from the Hamptons, so she doesn’t need makeup.” Edun had one of the cleanest faces seen with only a nude cream color on the lid and just a balm on the lip.
5. We can’t forget nails always make a statement at New York Fashion Week. Some of the trends in nails were those seen at Kate Spade and Edun. At Kate Spade, Deborah Lippmann created a gorgeous 70’s inspired nail pairing black and white. The nail was white and she added black tips with just a strip of neon, fuchsia pink underneath. At Edun, Deborah Lippmann created an expensive, yet fresh look that was inspired by a trip to Kenya. Nails were chic, clean and very high-end, but still very wearable for every day.
– Kelley Woods
Photos: Alexander Wang face (Lifestylemirror.com), Badgley Mischka eyes (flickr.com), Creatures of the Wind lips (paperblog.com), Edun face (WWD), Edun Nails (deborahlippmann.tumblr.com) and Prabral Gurung lips (fabsugar.com). All other photos from M·A·C Daily Face Charts SS 2014
Image Layouts: Second City Style
Tags: Alexander Wang beauty, Badgley Mischka, Beauty Trends From New York Fashion Week Spring '14, Costello Tagliapeitra Beauty, Deborah Lippmann, Edun bare face, James Kaliardos, Kate Spade Nails, MÂ·AÂ·C Daily Face Chart, NARS Cosmetics' Diane Kendal, New York Fashion Week Spring '14 Bold Lip, New York Fashion Week Spring '14 Nude Face, New York Fashion Week Spring 2014 Beauty trends, NYFW SS '14 lipstick trends, NYFW SS 2014 Makeup Trends, SS '14 Nail trends, Tom Pecheux Makeup