I admit I am/have been a bit of a beauty snob. It wasn’t until I lost my makeup bag on a flight a little over 2 years ago I even considered buying drugstore makeup and beauty products because I was desperate. When I walked into the drugstore I had no idea what to do or where to begin. Since that time I have made it a goal to keep up on both ends of the beauty spectrum. One thing I have noticed (and obviously others have as well) are almost identical products to high-end luxury items for a mere fraction of the price. Here are eight dupes for wildly popular items.
1. Moroccanoil® Treatment is fabulous, but when that glass bottle starts to leak all over your makeup bag you might realize it’s not worth the price. I have tried a variety of others and found OGX Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Extra Penetrating Oil, Dry & Coarse Hair is almost identical.
SPLURGE: Moroccanoil® Treatment, $48
STEAL: OGX Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Extra Penetrating Oil, Dry & Coarse Hair, $6.79
2. Who doesn’t love MAC’s Russian Red? The blue-red matte lipstick has been a cult classic since the 80’s and at $16 it’s not that expensive as far as lipsticks go. However, if you peruse the drugstore you might want to check out Wet -n- Wild Stoplight Red 911D lipstick which is less than $2.50! I’ve also heard NYX in Alabama is a dead ringer as well.
3. I remember hearing about NARS Orgasm blush in the early 2000’s and wondered what all the fuss was about. The “peachy pink with shimmer” shade doesn’t have much hanger appeal, but on, it’s fabulous on pretty much everyone, so I was sold. Yet when I heard Milani Baked Powder Blush in Luminoso was virtually the same I just had to check it out for myself.
4. Now this one I discovered for myself back in the 90’s. I had lost my MAC Spice lip liner and in a pinch found Wet-N-Wild Brandywine 666 lip liner at my drugstore for .99. I not only used it exclusively for years, I turned a lot of friends on to it.
5. If I had a dollar for every beauty expert and makeup artist who waxed poetic about YSL Touche Éclat I’d be rich! This cult classic is an anti-aging must-have highlighter for a radiant, flawless face. It literally makes fine lines, dark circles & signs of fatigue disappear. Is there a dupe that costs less? Yes! Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer does the same for a lot less.
SPLURGE: YSL Touche Eclat Radiant Touch Concealer, $41
STEAL: Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer, $5.59
6. Anyone who knows me, knows I am addicted to Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation and have had a hard time finding anything that comes close. At $62 per bottle (and the price keeps going up) I find myself scraping the bottom to make sure I get every cent of product out. L’Oreal Paris True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup SPF 20 is nearly identical and costs a lot less.
SPLURGE: Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, $62
STEAL: L’Oreal Paris True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup SPF 20, $12.95
7. It’s amazing how many women go nuts for Dior Show Mascara. It’s a triple threat. It thickens, lengthens and separates lashes for a nearly fake, unparalleled lash. That is until you try L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara which also has a ton of fans. They are frankly the same. Just ask my mother.
8. As I get older I don’t use as much powder as I used to, but I find I feel more comfortable with a compact in my makeup bag in case I get that shine I hate late in the day. Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish Pressed Powder is a fan favorite, but Rimmel’s Stay Matte Pressed Powder is essentially the same.
Splurge total: $275 Steal total: $46.64. Now you do the math!
– Lauren Dimet Waters
Image Layout: Second City Style
Tags: beauty, Beauty Dupes, Beauty products for less, Bobbi Brown, color cosmetics, Consealers, Dior Show Mascara, Drugstore Makeup, Giorgio Armani Foundation, Lauren Dimet Waters, lipstick, Luxury Makeup, MAC, mascara, Maybelline, Milani, MoroccanOil Treatment, NARS, OGX Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil, Pressed Powders, Rimel, Splurge vs. Steal, Wet 'n' Wild, YSL beauty